Virtual interviews have become increasingly popular in recent years, offering a convenient way for recruiters to connect with candidates worldwide.
But what exactly are the benefits of online interviewing, and why should recruiters hop on this trend?
Understanding the rise of virtual interviews
According to a survey conducted by Gartner, 86% of companies conducted digital interviews during 2020.
That’s a staggering increase from just 25% in 2015.
Another survey by Indeed states that currently 82% of employers prefer online interviewing and 93% of them plan to continue using this method.
Let’s understand what led to the rise of this practice.
1. Globalization of the workforce
- Cultural diversity: The increasing emphasis on cultural diversity in the workplace has driven companies to look beyond their local candidate pools. Virtual interviews have become the go-to method for accessing a diverse, global candidate base, making it easier to create a multicultural work environment.
- Competitive edge: The fierce competition for specialized skills has pushed companies to expand their search on a global scale. Online interviewing has emerged as a practical solution to this challenge, enabling recruiters to scout for the best talent worldwide without geographical limitations.
2. Technological advancements
- High-speed internet: With the development of reliable internet, face-to-face interactions have become almost as organic as virtual ones.
- Integration with other technologies: Hiring platforms provide integration with other HR technologies, resulting in a smooth recruitment workflow.
3. Pandemic response
- Immediate shift required: Digital interviews became necessary as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, which accelerated the transition to distant employment and remote hiring.
- Adaptation to new norms: Companies had to adapt quickly, and those that embraced video interviews found themselves ahead of the curve.
6 compelling reasons to embrace virtual interviews in recruitment
1. Accessibility to global talent
Online interviews enable recruiters to connect with candidates worldwide, eliminating geographical constraints.
Virtual interviews save a great deal of money by cutting out the need for travel and accommodations.
The savings can be used for further essential HR projects, improving the overall hiring strategy.
This enables firms to allocate resources strategically and maximize recruitment ROI.
3. Efficiency and speed
Virtual interviews simplify scheduling, minimizing administrative burdens and delays.
It’s an innovative method of flexible recruitment that fits with the workforce’s current dynamic.
Due to their responsiveness and proactive approach to hiring, organizations benefit from this agility.
4. Enhanced candidate experience
Interviewees relish the comfort of video interviews because they can participate in them from the location of their choice.
This positive candidate experience boosts how a company is viewed.
It’s a chance to interact with applicants on their terms, establishing a favorable image that will stay.
5. Integration with modern tools
The recruitment process is brought into line with technological improvements through integration with contemporary tools.
This way you can stay ahead in a tech-driven world.
6. Data-driven insights
Certain digital interviewing platforms provide analytics and insights to aid recruiters in decision-making.
With the use of this data-driven methodology, you can recognize trends and patterns to improve hiring outcomes.
4 steps to master virtual interviews
1. Choose the right platforms
The following interviewing platforms are trusted worldwide because of their advanced features and user-friendliness:
2. Create a professional environment
Setting the correct tone for the interview establishes a professional and distraction-free environment.
Also, it goes without saying that you need to have a proper technological setup.
Test your microphone and camera beforehand.
And obviously, dress professionally. (It’s okay if you’re wearing shorts but don’t miss out on a formal shirt)
3. Build rapport and engagement
- Use visual cues: In a virtual scenario, using both verbal and non-verbal cues generate a positive connection with the candidate by making the interview more intimate and engaging.
- Ask engaging questions: Crafting intriguing, open-ended questions promotes a two-way exchange of ideas. The responses help recruiters understand the candidate’s personality and thought process.
4. Ensure fairness and inclusivity
Standardize the process so that each applicant has the same experience during the interview.
Also, provide clear instructions so that the candidates can prepare accordingly.
Last but not least, have an open mind and make unbiased decisions.
Frequently asked questions
1. What does the future of virtual interviews look like?
Well, the future is already here. There are emerging trends like on-demand interviews and the implementation of hybrid models.
And soon, interviews will also be conducted using virtual reality or even augmented reality.
2. What are the potential challenges of implementing online interviews?
Here are five commonly occurring challenges while implementing online interviews:
- Technical glitches
- Security concerns
- Practicing inclusivity and equality
- Having a lack of personal connection
- Assessing soft skills effectively
P.S.: If you are looking for an AI-powered ATS + CRM platform, then don’t forget to check out Recruit CRM. You can book a demo with us to see the tool in action.